Home > Blogging, SMO, Social Media > Friendships or Contacts? – Social Media

Friendships or Contacts? – Social Media

February 6th, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

Blogging and social media sites are at the center of most topics in the internet marketing world. Not a day goes by that a hot new article at Sphinn (Internet Marketing News & Forums Discussion) doesn’t relate to social media. With an unlimited amount of social media options, inevitably you will make friends. The question that perplexes me most about these social media friends are they just contacts? or are they really friends?

Over the past few months of being an active contributing blogger I have made hundreds of contacts. Are any of them really my friends? A definition of a friend can loosely be defined by anyone. In my opinion a friends is someone you can count on in a bind? Trusting people is one of the hardest things for anyone to do and especially for me.

I have thought about the psychology and risk of it all… People hiding behind an avatar. People covering up their personality flaws. Someone being out right dishonest. People lying and being malicious.

Being new to the contributing blog world I have yet to be mislead. But a part of me wants to fall back on what my momma always said: “Don’t Talk to Strangers”. When people “friend me” I am always hesitant. If I don’t add you don’t be alarmed, I am just doing what my momma told me.

I am perplexed by my new found “friends” and if they are really more than just contacts or avatars on the internet.

Categories: Blogging, SMO, Social Media Tags:
  1. February 7th, 2008 at 01:28 | #1

@ Spostareduro – You are by far my favorite social media friend! You always have something to enlighten me with. One thing I have learned about you, and we haven’t even met, is that you have a kind/soft heart. One day if we meet you will see that we will be true friends.

My thoughts were about meeting the average person and the skepticisms I have about their sincerity. May dad always said “don’t trust anyone as far as you can throw them”. My thoughts are more towards the people that taut friendship when really all they want is your link and promotion love. I ran a link marketing campaign once and got a hundred or so links. I got this links by telling them they would get something in return plus an account manager with the company. The problem I had was that my job was to get the links not follow up on them. I did the research and the sales style phone calls on the links. Afterwards an account manager was supposed to call them. Well after a year of inactivity from some of these links I went back and asked what was going on. Many of the replies “that link still up?” Well low and behold they were now angry and I looked like the liar. I had used these people for link building.

So my thoughts are similar to are they just using me for my popularity in social media networks? This still perplexes me.

2. February 7th, 2008 at 01:33 | #2

@ Spostareduro again – I do know that song. It doesn’t fail we always seem to end up on the same forums!

3. spostareduro
    February 7th, 2008 at 00:51 | #3

Chris have you ever heard that cartoony song that went like this, “My buddy my buddy, wherever I go he goes. My buddy my buddy my buddy and me!”

I’m a friend for real. i may not always have time to show it like I’d like to but you can trust me.

There are more of us too. And I intend to find em’.

I think of you as a friend. Even though you’ve got 1,000 things on your plate at one time, you still pit stop to comment on my stuff, ask about my family, and show friendship. Thanks Chris.

4. spostareduro
    February 7th, 2008 at 01:52 | #4

There’s sad truth behind what you’re suggesting Chris. I have found that it can be a big game of who can use who first.
    But I don’t want to believe that everyone is like that. I refuse to be like that myself. Sometimes I even feel somewhat guilty of dropping links. But I think if they disagreed with it, they would moderate and remove it.
    Don’t let yourself be distracted from what it is that YOU have to offer the kitty. What we give is most important. All will come to fruition in time and we;ll still have a clean conscience at night.

5. February 8th, 2008 at 14:19 | #5

I don’t really like to connect just for the superficial contacts. What I want is friendship, and that’s what I look for.

6. February 10th, 2008 at 13:23 | #6

Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hola!

7. February 24th, 2008 at 02:59 | #7

I agree with all the social media tools out there is it hard to know who to trust. However, through time I have come to discover that people usually have the same common interest as me, making it a more solid foundation. Because I am part of these communtiies I have chosen to let go of my mistrust, because I realized it was my mistrust that stopped me from getting to know some great people

Since then I have connected with many people that I can truly call life friends.

Megan