Presidential Honeymoon Period Over
As President Barack Obama gets ready for his first night in the White House the Honeymoon is ending. Wednesday begins his first full day as President. Obama’s Presidency begins in a time of Economic Turmoil and trying times internationally. It is unlikely that he will get a long honeymoon that has been extended to presidents past.
Pres. Obama inherits a two front war in the Middle East. A weakened economy full of scandal and turmoil that directly effects the falling employment rates. Many people from around the world will be looking to the Leader of The Free World for guidance.
So to spare you the obvious problems that face America lets take a look at days gone by with information from the United Steelworkers Rapid Response. Only history will tell the legacy of Former George W. Bush today’s stats are dim and perhaps indicative of how history will be written.
The Legacy of George W. Bush
When Bush Took Office Today Unemployment Rate 4.2% 7.2% National Debt $5.7 trillion $10.6 trillion Manufacturing Jobs 17.2 million 13.0 million Americans without Health Care Coverage 40 million 46 million Employers Offering Some Type of Insurance Coverage 69% 63% Annual Premium Cost for Family Coverage $6,230 $12,680 Americans in Poverty 31.6 million 37.3 million U.S. Trade Deficit $362 billion $688 billion Cost of College6 Public Private $3,766 $17,377 $6,585 $25,143
- U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics Survey, Manufacturing Employment, 2000 & 2008.
- Kaiser Family Foundation, Employer Health Benefits, 2008 Annual Survey.
- Kaiser Family Foundation, Employer Health Benefits Surveys.
- U.S. Census Bureau, most recent available data is for 2007.
- U.S. Census Bureau, data is from a 12-month period of December-November for both timeframes.
- College Board, Trends in College Pricing, data is for tuition and fees only.